HOT AND SOUR SEAFOOD SALAD
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 to 4 dried chilies
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
¼ cup fat-free low-sodium chicken stock
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt to taste
8 ounces bay scallops
8 ounces medium large cooked shrimp, cut in half
1 cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
8 Chinese dried black mushrooms, soaked in warm water for
approximately 20 minutes, stems removed, caps julienned
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 ½ inch long julienne
2 green onions, cut diagonally into ¼ inch slices
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, lightly toasted (optional)
- Heat a nonstick wok or skillet over medium heat.
- Add the canola oil then the red chilies. Stir until
they turn brownish..
- Add the five-spice powder, stirring to prevent it from
- Add the next four ingredients stir until the sugar
- Stir in the sesame oil and season with salt.
- Set aside to cool. Discard the chilies, pour into a
jar, cover, and refrigerate.
- Rinse and drain the scallops.
- Place them in a steamer rack over boiling water. Cover
and steam until opaque, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Let scallops cool and then refrigerate.
- To serve, combine the shrimp, scallops, cucumber,
mushrooms, and bell pepper in a large bowl. Shake the dressing and pour over
the salad, tossing to coat. Place the salad greens on a plate and top with the
salad. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.