Babas au Rhum
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :1:15
Categories : Desserts Pastry
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
1 package yeast
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine -- softened
--- Sauce: ---
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup rum
seedless raisins -- optional
* These can be frozen for later use. Freeze before dipping in rum sauce.
1. Place 1/2 cup lukewarm water in a mixing bowl; sprinkle yeast over water. Let stand 5
minutes to soften.
2. Add 1/2 cup flour and beat well with electric mixer or rotary mixer. Beat in the eggs
one at a time, then the salt, sugar, and remaining 1 cup flour.
3. Cover and let rise until light, about 45 minutes.
4. Beat in the softened margarine or butter, small bits at a time.
5. Grease DEEP cupcake tins or pans made especially for babas. Put 1 tablespoon of batter
in each tin. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
6. Bake in preheated 400-degree oven until browned. Time will depend on size of pan you
are using. Cool babas.
SAUCE: Boil 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar for 10 minutes. Cool to lukewarm and add 1/2
cup rum. Dip cooled cakes in this mixture and pour more sauce around them. Babas are
traditionally very moist with the syrup.
VARIATIONS: Add 1/4 cup raisins to dough when butter is added. Cut a small circle from top
of cake, scoop out a small amount of insides and fill with marmalade. Replace top. Serve
with a tart lemon sauce.